Monday, June 16, 2014

The MacGyvers


So TFL got a 1/4" of rain late yesterday.  The guys who built the tippy outhouse were out for the weekend and repaired and reinforced said outhouse. They had been visiting the park yesterday and got back just when it was pouring here.  From then on they were textbook MacGyver.

1.  It was raining - they didn't attempt to drive out my road that evening.
2.  The morning after the rain it was really muddy by the highway - they didn't attempt to drive out my road.
3.  They had a problem to deal with because of the weather and didn't come to me before trying to deal with it on their own.

These guys did all of the above and then some.  This morning I was wondering what their situation was since I figured they were either swamped in or swamped out.  I went to check my road on the quad and saw some human tracks in the mud.  Drove up the hill to check on their situation.  They hiked in 3 miles to their camp this morning at 5 AM and packed up their gear in such a way that was their best option for getting the stuff out on foot without anyone's help.  They didn't even stop by to ask for help and were prepared to drag their gear all the way back to the highway by themselves.  They did such a good job of prepping for their escape that it was an absolute pleasure to help them.  All their gear was secured to a folding plastic table, with ropes attached to do the 3 man drag.  The final perfect touch were the wrapped towels added to the ropes (secured with cable ties) to act as shoulder pads. With the quad - I dragged them and their gear 2 1/2 miles dogsled style to the swamped spot in the road.  All they had to do on foot was get it across the swamp (about 30 ft.).  From there they walked out to their truck and the road had dried enough for them to drive back in to that spot and pack out.  Three cheers for Sandy, Ryan, and Rob.  87,103,70,0,B

8 comments:

Dizzy-Dick said...

It is good to know that there still are people who try to solve their own problems. I give them a thumbs up and one for you too, for helping. Helping someone who is willing to help themselves is the way to go.

Unknown said...

I agree with Dizzy-Dick's comments. Another Thumbs Up for the good deed! I truly believe what comes around goes around, and good actions will be rewarded. I enjoyed the post.

Anonymous said...

I am new to checking out your blogs so the reference of the tippy outhouse went over my head. I tried the search but it didnt reward me with any older posts. Also found it interesting that only 1/4 inch of rain made that much mud! Love your site.

Don said...

That is nothing more than West Texas Grit. Glad to see you have some good neighbors.

Don

remmij said...

@ SSL, believe this was the reference:
tippy- can be breezy too.

THORNWALKER said...

Nice. That was the best show on TV when I was a kid..then the A-team.

S. Cooper said...

Thornwalker, you just made me feel like an old woman, lol. ~Sherri

Margery Billd said...

The human experience. :-) the Scotts/Irish/English Appalachian people where my ancestors lived were usually too proud to ask for help and did not want people to know their business. (Saying--People find out enough about you without you telling them). I do not know about past movies or t.v. Because my parents did not allow it because of possible bad ideas plus we lived overseas with no t.v. (international films were good :-)